Friday, September 9, 2011

Visions

This blog will be the first time I do any writing on this extensive of a level. I'm looking forward to it though. I'm actually kind of hoping that I get a decent following. The whole idea of keeping a blog, either as a politically argumentative site, or as a journal of my life, reminds me of when I was last reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. In the book, Ender's siblings go on this worldwide network of debate forums for adults, where they create fake names for themselves and pretend to be adults so that people will take their ideas and opinions seriously. They are not only taken seriously, but their ideas are widely accepted or criticized. They become more and more influential through the debates they are participating in. Eventually, they are both able to build up these huge followings for their ideas. One of the children reveals himself and after a devastating war, is actually elected to a position that could be labeled, "President of the World."

Now I know that's unrealistic, and don't worry, I don't have tendencies towards world domination, but the idea is still there in my brain. Think about it: two children of ten or eleven were able to influence the world through what was, basically, a giant blog. Their ideas, opinions, and beliefs were all spread through social networking. They gained influence in the world through essays and articles that they posted online. Who says I can't do the same? I want to make a difference in this world. I want to be part of the decisions. I want a say in my future, and who's to say I can't? Editors and directors? They have dominion over newspapers and televisions, radio shows and movies, but they hold no sway over the internet. That's my playground, and I intend to play my heart out.

Heck, this blog may never get off the ground. It will probably never affect the people making the big decisions. It probably won't change the opinions of voters, the messages of music, or the beliefs of atheists. But it might, and I might, and even if I only make people think a little about what I think is interesting, that will be good enough for me. I want to spread my ideas and my opinions, and right now, this little blog is my podium, and I'm going to shout it for the whole world to hear.

2 comments:

  1. I love Ender's Game. My cousin was minding her own business, writing on her little blog, when she got an inquiry from a major television talk show about using something she had written there. Maybe your idea of influencing the world isn't so far fetched.

    ReplyDelete